Friday, January 23, 2009

Anyone want to make 65 cents?

Some disclaimer is needed here: I work on the Seattle PN Technology Reviews team. However, I’ve never paid anyone to post a positive review on user sites and I wouldn’t recommend that tactic to my clients.

Today I read a blog post about Belkin apologizing for doing so and I wondered why in the world anyone would have thought that was a good idea. In this age of transparency, how could anyone at Belkin think that paying people to post reviews on their behalf would lead to anything but an uproar?

Not only is it bad business- it’s also, um, unethical.

(Also, as a consumer –yes, I do have a life outside of work- I am inherently distrustful of a glowing review of any product. Every product has its bad points- even my beloved iPhone.)

The funny thing is- Belkin was offering 65 cents. I mean, the Santa Live app makers were paying people $4 per positive review. Maybe it’s the economy…

1 comment:

Cory Curtis said...

65 cents....what? Seriously? Maybe it was a joke just to get PR. Ummm, maybe not...