Monday, February 2, 2009

The Bow That Just Won't Go

While I think many of us can agree that the events of the Inauguration were historic and fascinating across the board...it looks like one detail, blogged about by man and one that includes a fan site of Facebook of more than 90,000 members, just keeps on giving...the bow.

Whether Aretha Franklin intended to make such a bold statement on such an historic day or whether she simply thought it the most appropriate accessory for the day, the bow hat now has a life of its own. While driving into work today I heard a report on the BBC that apparently the designer received more than 5000 requests for that hat within the first hour of it's international debut...5000?!?! Really?!?! Are there really 5000 people out there that think they can pull off this one-of-a-kind creation and to what type of occasion?! Then, on my way back from a meeting this afternoon I heard that apparently, the Smithsonian has asked Ms. Franklin to donate her fashion accessory to the museum to commemorate our nation's inauguration of the first African-American president. Apparently she hasn't decided whether to give the hat to the Smithsonian or not but separate of that, I can think of handfuls of other mementos from that day that would be as fitting, if not more so, that a hat that seemed to swallow up her head. Granted, I know I'm in the minority that the hat was a little over the top (pun intended) but the Smithsonian?!?! I'm wondering what's next...Michelle Obama's JCrew gloves?! The hair spray bottle used to hold every one of Nancy Pelosi's hairs in place?! Dick Cheney's wheelchair?!

1 comment:

Emil Rodriguez said...

I offered the Seattle Art Museum my once magnificently coifed hair as a commemoration for my first week of working at PN. They accepted, hence my drastically shaved head the next day. True story.