Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Be careful!

In this evening's queries email, Peter Shankman calls out a couple of PR people who aren't following the rules. Here's the rant that starts his email:

"Hey listen - I hate to bring this up again, but it would see that WOW Public Relations, specifically Nan Murray and Chris Burres, continue to SPAM HARO reporters. Now, I know for a fact that I've kicked them off the list, but for whatever reason, these people don't get it. Here's the problem: They continue to spam on behalf of their client, Patrick Wanis - I've talked to Patrick, and he's told them to stop, yet WOW public relations continues to SPAM reporters. So, if you get an unsolicited email from them, know that they're not welcome on HARO, ever. I'd never, ever work with them, nor would I ever recommend them. I personally have added @patrickwanis.com to my killfile, and you all might want to consider doing the same. It's sad - some people just continue to do the wrong thing, despite being told repeatedly why it's wrong."

I am glad to hear that Peter is keeping PR people accountable, but I would not want to be called-out in an email to thousands of people. This is a great reminder for all of us to be responsible about sending pitch emails. Not just because Peter is watching, but because it's the right thing to do.

If you don't know who Peter is, I recommend checking out his blog at http://shankman.com/.

1 comment:

Tera Randall said...

Then this morning, Peter wrote in regards to his booting of the two PR people and their client:

"So I've been thinking - I'm not wrong often, but when I am, I admit it. Last night I said that because of SPAM on behalf of Patrick Wanis, PhD, I killfiled his email and suggested you do the same.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that he's not really at fault here. His agency is. So I take back what I said about him. I don't believe him to be at fault, and as far as I can tell, he personally has never spammed any reporters."