Thursday, June 12, 2008

Green really is "Big in '08"

Ok, I have to preface this post by stating I've never warmed up to saying something was "Big in '08." But, when you receive mail from your mother who is generally two or three years behind on adopting any kind of idea or product (ever wonder who is still keeping the VHS industry alive?) it really has achieved "Big in '08" status.

As many of us in the office continue to plan our summer weddings, including me, I thought I would share an article (sent to me from Mom) that appeared in The Olympian on how you can make your special day ecofriendly. Of course, green weddings do come with a price, as Alex Lluch, a wedding planning book producer points out, "The average wedding costs about $27,000, according to recent statistics, but green weddings can cost up to 20 percent more."

Below are some tips on how to keep the big day green:

Reception

  • Hold your ceremony and reception at the same location to cut down on consuming natural resources
  • Outside receptions are generally more energy-efficient than indoors
  • Use glassware and cloth napkins to cut down on waste

Ceremony

  • Instead of using rice, which is in high demand and dangerous for birds, for throwing at the end of the ceremony, the article recommends using flower petals, waving ribbons or blowing bubbles.
Invitations
  • Print invitations on recycled paper and limit the inserts that go with the invitation. One way I have limited invitation "filler" is by creating my own website to give hotel details and directions.
I'd be interested to hear how the rest of you are keeping, or have kept your weddings green.

2 comments:

Tera Randall said...

What about nixing the end-of-ceremony throwing of materials and doing your invitation completely online? That's seems most green to me. The downside is that now you are so green your grandma will be sad she can't scrapbook your invitation. Maybe you can print a screenshot of your online invitation just for her. :)

Noah Banning said...

Not only that, but apparently my out of town grandparents, who don't use the internet, will not have any idea what hotel we have recommended for them.