Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Man is Killing the Video Star

Carriage Services, Inc. a Houston funeral-services company, recently discovered that 70 percent of the workers in its 125-person headquarters watched videos on Web sites like Google Inc.'s YouTube and News Corp.'s MySpace for about an hour a day.

"I almost fell out of my chair when I saw how many people were doing it and how much bandwidth those sites sucked up," said Jeff Parker, the company's information-technology admin.

He quickly blocked access to both sites. This is a common practice happening across many businesses in the U.S.

Top 10 Internet video brands viewed at work in the U.S.:
1. YouTube
2. Yahoo
3. Fox Interactive Media
4. MSN/Windows Live
5. ESPN
6. CNN Digital
7. Turner Entertainment
8. NBC Universal
9. Disney Online
10. Nickelodeon

(I'd link to these, but I'd rather not have my team wasting time watching videos at work.)

-- LTrain

No comments: